1. يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ اتَّقِ اللَّهَ وَلَا تُطِعِ الْكَافِرِينَ وَالْمُنَافِقِينَ ۗ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلِيمًا حَكِيمًا
33|1|O Prophet! Fear God, and do not obey the unbelievers and the hypocrites. God is Knowledgeable and Wise.
2. وَاتَّبِعْ مَا يُوحَىٰ إِلَيْكَ مِن رَّبِّكَ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ خَبِيرًا
33|2|And follow what is revealed to you from your Lord. God is fully aware of what you do.
3. وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ ۚ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ وَكِيلًا
33|3|And put your trust in God. God is enough as a trustee.
4. مَّا جَعَلَ اللَّهُ لِرَجُلٍ مِّن قَلْبَيْنِ فِي جَوْفِهِ ۚ وَمَا جَعَلَ أَزْوَاجَكُمُ اللَّائِي تُظَاهِرُونَ مِنْهُنَّ أُمَّهَاتِكُمْ ۚوَمَا جَعَلَ أَدْعِيَاءَكُمْ أَبْنَاءَكُمْ ۚ ذَٰلِكُمْ قَوْلُكُم بِأَفْوَاهِكُمْ ۖ وَاللَّهُ يَقُولُ الْحَقَّ وَهُوَ يَهْدِي السَّبِيلَ
33|4|God did not place two hearts inside any man’s body. Nor did He make your wives whom you equate with your mothers, your actual mothers. Nor did He make your adopted sons, your actual sons. These are your words coming out of your mouths. God speaks the truth, and guides to the path.
Some have mistakenly took The Prophet’s SAW wife’s as “mothers”, meaning they are extremely elevated. This is not the case, they are to be respected due to the proximity of the Prophet SAW, but the real meaning is that they are not to be married by others. Using the term “mother” to mean that you can not approx this particular lady sexually is a common phrase at the time of the Prophet SAW, and is reprimanded in the Quran :
58|2|Those of you who estrange their wives by equating them with their mothers—they are not their mothers. Their mothers are none else but those who gave birth to them. What they say is evil, and a blatant lie. But God is Pardoning and Forgiving.
58|3|Those who estrange their wives by equating them with their mothers, then go back on what they said, must set free a slave before they may touch one another. To this you are exhorted, and God is well aware of what you do.
So the correct position is that your wife you can never call your “mother” meaning that you will not approach her, as this leaves her in limbo, she is not in a stable happy marriage, nor is she able to move on and marry someone else. For the Prophet’s SAW wives, they are not approachable by anyone else, and that is why they are described as the believers “mothers” -see 33:6
5. ادْعُوهُمْ لِآبَائِهِمْ هُوَ أَقْسَطُ عِندَ اللَّهِ ۚ فَإِن لَّمْ تَعْلَمُوا آبَاءَهُمْ فَإِخْوَانُكُمْ فِي الدِّينِ وَمَوَالِيكُمْ ۚوَلَيْسَ عَلَيْكُمْ جُنَاحٌ فِيمَا أَخْطَأْتُم بِهِ وَلَٰكِن مَّا تَعَمَّدَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ ۚ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
33|5|Call them after their fathers; that is more equitable with God. But if you do not know their fathers, then your brethren in faith and your friends. There is no blame on you if you err therein, barring what your hearts premeditates. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
6. النَّبِيُّ أَوْلَىٰ بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ مِنْ أَنفُسِهِمْ ۖ وَأَزْوَاجُهُ أُمَّهَاتُهُمْ ۗ وَأُولُو الْأَرْحَامِ بَعْضُهُمْ أَوْلَىٰ بِبَعْضٍ فِي كِتَابِ اللَّهِ مِنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُهَاجِرِينَ إِلَّا أَن تَفْعَلُوا إِلَىٰ أَوْلِيَائِكُم مَّعْرُوفًا ۚ كَانَ ذَٰلِكَ فِي الْكِتَابِ مَسْطُورًا
33|6|The Prophet is more caring of the believers than they are of themselves, and his wives are mothers to them. And blood-relatives are closer to one another in God’s Book than the believers or the emigrants, though you should do good to your friends. That is inscribed in the Book.
H 13105, Ch. 24, h 2
Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from Yunus from abu Basir who has narrated the following:
“Abu Ja‘far, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, has said, ‘The maternal uncle and maternal aunt inherit if there are no
other heirs. Allah, most Majestic, most Glorious, has said, ‘. . . relatives have priorities over other
relatives according to the book of Allah.’(33:6)”
H 745, Ch. 63, h 1
Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from Yunus from
al-Husayn ibn Thuwayr ibn abu Fakhta from abu ’Abd Allah, recipient of divine
supreme covenant, who has said the following:
“Imamat (Leadership with Divine Authority) will never go to
two brothers after al-Hassan and al-Husayn, recipients of divine
supreme covenant. It has continued from Ali ibn al-Husayn,
recipient of divine supreme covenant, as Allah, the Most Holy,
the Most High, has said, ‘The relatives are closer to each other,
according to the Book of Allah. . . .’ (33:6) After Imam Ali ibn
al-Husayn, recipient of divine supreme covenant, Imamat
(Leadership with Divine Authority) will only be found in the
descendants one after the other.’”
7. وَإِذْ أَخَذْنَا مِنَ النَّبِيِّينَ مِيثَاقَهُمْ وَمِنكَ وَمِن نُّوحٍ وَإِبْرَاهِيمَ وَمُوسَىٰ وَعِيسَى ابْنِ مَرْيَمَ ۖ وَأَخَذْنَا مِنْهُم مِّيثَاقًا غَلِيظًا
33|7|Recall that We received a pledge from the prophets, and from you, and from Noah, and Abraham, and Moses, and Jesus son of Mary. We received from them a solemn pledge.
8. لِّيَسْأَلَ الصَّادِقِينَ عَن صِدْقِهِمْ ۚ وَأَعَدَّ لِلْكَافِرِينَ عَذَابًا أَلِيمًا
33|8|That He may ask the sincere about their sincerity. He has prepared for the disbelievers a painful punishment.
9. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اذْكُرُوا نِعْمَةَ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ إِذْ جَاءَتْكُمْ جُنُودٌ فَأَرْسَلْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ رِيحًا وَجُنُودًا لَّمْ تَرَوْهَا ۚ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ بِمَا تَعْمَلُونَ بَصِيرًا
33|9|O you who believe! Remember God’s blessings upon you, when forces came against you, and We sent against them a wind, and forces you did not see. God is Observant of what you do.
10. إِذْ جَاءُوكُم مِّن فَوْقِكُمْ وَمِنْ أَسْفَلَ مِنكُمْ وَإِذْ زَاغَتِ الْأَبْصَارُ وَبَلَغَتِ الْقُلُوبُ الْحَنَاجِرَ وَتَظُنُّونَ بِاللَّهِ الظُّنُونَا
33|10|When they came upon you, from above you, and from beneath you; and the eyes became dazed, and the hearts reached the throats, and you harbored doubts about God.
11. هُنَالِكَ ابْتُلِيَ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ وَزُلْزِلُوا زِلْزَالًا شَدِيدًا
33|11|There and then the believers were tested, and were shaken most severely.
12. وَإِذْ يَقُولُ الْمُنَافِقُونَ وَالَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ مَّا وَعَدَنَا اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ إِلَّا غُرُورًا
33|12|When the hypocrites and those in whose hearts is sickness said, “God and His Messenger promised us nothing but illusion.”
13. وَإِذْ قَالَت طَّائِفَةٌ مِّنْهُمْ يَا أَهْلَ يَثْرِبَ لَا مُقَامَ لَكُمْ فَارْجِعُوا ۚ وَيَسْتَأْذِنُ فَرِيقٌ مِّنْهُمُ النَّبِيَّ يَقُولُونَ إِنَّ بُيُوتَنَا عَوْرَةٌ وَمَا هِيَ بِعَوْرَةٍ ۖ إِن يُرِيدُونَ إِلَّا فِرَارًا
33|13|And when a group of them said, “O people of Yathrib, you cannot make a stand, so retreat.” And a faction of them asked the Prophet to excuse them, saying, “Our homes are exposed,” although they were not exposed. They only wanted to flee.
14. وَلَوْ دُخِلَتْ عَلَيْهِم مِّنْ أَقْطَارِهَا ثُمَّ سُئِلُوا الْفِتْنَةَ لَآتَوْهَا وَمَا تَلَبَّثُوا بِهَا إِلَّا يَسِيرًا
33|14|Had it been invaded from its sides, and they were asked to dissent, they would have done so with little hesitation.
15. وَلَقَدْ كَانُوا عَاهَدُوا اللَّهَ مِن قَبْلُ لَا يُوَلُّونَ الْأَدْبَارَ ۚ وَكَانَ عَهْدُ اللَّهِ مَسْئُولًا
33|15|Although they had made a pledged to God, in the past, that they will not turn their backs. A pledge to God is a responsibility.
16. قُل لَّن يَنفَعَكُمُ الْفِرَارُ إِن فَرَرْتُم مِّنَ الْمَوْتِ أَوِ الْقَتْلِ وَإِذًا لَّا تُمَتَّعُونَ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا
33|16|Say, “Flight will not benefit you, if you flee from death or killing, even then you will be given only brief enjoyment.”
17. قُلْ مَن ذَا الَّذِي يَعْصِمُكُم مِّنَ اللَّهِ إِنْ أَرَادَ بِكُمْ سُوءًا أَوْ أَرَادَ بِكُمْ رَحْمَةً ۚ وَلَا يَجِدُونَ لَهُم مِّن دُونِ اللَّهِ وَلِيًّا وَلَا نَصِيرًا
33|17|Say, “Who is it who will shield you from God, if He intends adversity for you, or intends mercy for you?” Besides God, they will find for themselves neither friend nor helper.
18. ۞ قَدْ يَعْلَمُ اللَّهُ الْمُعَوِّقِينَ مِنكُمْ وَالْقَائِلِينَ لِإِخْوَانِهِمْ هَلُمَّ إِلَيْنَا ۖ وَلَا يَأْتُونَ الْبَأْسَ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا
33|18|God already knows the hinderers among you, and those who say to their brethren, “Come and join us.” Rarely do they mobilize for battle.
19. أَشِحَّةً عَلَيْكُمْ ۖ فَإِذَا جَاءَ الْخَوْفُ رَأَيْتَهُمْ يَنظُرُونَ إِلَيْكَ تَدُورُ أَعْيُنُهُمْ كَالَّذِي يُغْشَىٰ عَلَيْهِ مِنَ الْمَوْتِ ۖ فَإِذَا ذَهَبَ الْخَوْفُ سَلَقُوكُم بِأَلْسِنَةٍ حِدَادٍ أَشِحَّةً عَلَى الْخَيْرِ ۚ أُولَٰئِكَ لَمْ يُؤْمِنُوا فَأَحْبَطَ اللَّهُ أَعْمَالَهُمْ ۚ وَكَانَ ذَٰلِكَ عَلَى اللَّهِ يَسِيرًا
33|19|Being stingy towards you. And when fear approaches, you see them staring at you—their eyes rolling—like someone fainting at death. Then, when panic is over, they whip you with sharp tongues. They resent you any good. These have never believed, so God has nullified their works; a matter easy for God.
20. يَحْسَبُونَ الْأَحْزَابَ لَمْ يَذْهَبُوا ۖ وَإِن يَأْتِ الْأَحْزَابُ يَوَدُّوا لَوْ أَنَّهُم بَادُونَ فِي الْأَعْرَابِ يَسْأَلُونَ عَنْ أَنبَائِكُمْ ۖ وَلَوْ كَانُوا فِيكُم مَّا قَاتَلُوا إِلَّا قَلِيلًا
33|20|They assumed that the confederates had not withdrawn. But were the confederates to advance, they would wish they were in the desert with the Bedouins, inquiring about your news. And if they were among you, they would have done little fighting.
21. لَّقَدْ كَانَ لَكُمْ فِي رَسُولِ اللَّهِ أُسْوَةٌ حَسَنَةٌ لِّمَن كَانَ يَرْجُو اللَّهَ وَالْيَوْمَ الْآخِرَ وَذَكَرَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا
33|21|You have an excellent example in the Messenger of God; for anyone who seeks God and the Last Day, and remembers God frequently.
Those that deny the information recorded about the Prophet SAW in the form of hadith are severely missing out.
22. وَلَمَّا رَأَى الْمُؤْمِنُونَ الْأَحْزَابَ قَالُوا هَٰذَا مَا وَعَدَنَا اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ وَصَدَقَ اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ ۚ وَمَا زَادَهُمْ إِلَّا إِيمَانًا وَتَسْلِيمًا
33|22|And when the believers saw the confederates, they said, “This is what God and His messenger have promised us; and God and His messenger have told the truth.” And it only increased them in faith and submission.
23. مِّنَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ رِجَالٌ صَدَقُوا مَا عَاهَدُوا اللَّهَ عَلَيْهِ ۖ فَمِنْهُم مَّن قَضَىٰ نَحْبَهُ وَمِنْهُم مَّن يَنتَظِرُ ۖوَمَا بَدَّلُوا تَبْدِيلًا
33|23|Of the believers are men who are true to what they pledged to God. Some of them have fulfilled their vows; and some are still waiting, and never wavering.
H 2325, CH 100, h 1
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from
Muhammad ibn Sinan from Nasir abu al-Hakim al-Khath’ami from abu ‘Abd
Allah, recipient of divine supreme covenant, who has said the following:
“There are two kinds of believing people: one kind is true to the
covenant with Allah and has kept the stipulation as Allah, the
Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said, ‘Among the believers
there are people who are true in their promise to Allah. . . .’
(33:23) This kind of believing people do not become subject to
any fear, worldly or in the hereafter. They are those who
intercede for others but need no intercession. There are the kinds
of believing people who are like a sprouting plant that grows
straight sometimes and not so straight under certain conditions.
This kind of believing people may become subject to fear in this
world as well as in the next life. They need intercession but
cannot intercede for anyone.”
24. لِّيَجْزِيَ اللَّهُ الصَّادِقِينَ بِصِدْقِهِمْ وَيُعَذِّبَ الْمُنَافِقِينَ إِن شَاءَ أَوْ يَتُوبَ عَلَيْهِمْ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
33|24|That God may reward the truthful for their truthfulness; and punish the hypocrites, if He wills, or pardon them. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
25. وَرَدَّ اللَّهُ الَّذِينَ كَفَرُوا بِغَيْظِهِمْ لَمْ يَنَالُوا خَيْرًا ۚ وَكَفَى اللَّهُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ الْقِتَالَ ۚ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ قَوِيًّا عَزِيزًا
33|25|God repelled the disbelievers in their rage; they gained no advantage. God thus spared the believers combat. God is Strong and Mighty.
26. وَأَنزَلَ الَّذِينَ ظَاهَرُوهُم مِّنْ أَهْلِ الْكِتَابِ مِن صَيَاصِيهِمْ وَقَذَفَ فِي قُلُوبِهِمُ الرُّعْبَ فَرِيقًا تَقْتُلُونَ وَتَأْسِرُونَ فَرِيقًا
33|26|And He brought down from their strongholds those of the People of the Book who backed them, and He threw terror into their hearts. Some of them you killed, and others you took captive.
27. وَأَوْرَثَكُمْ أَرْضَهُمْ وَدِيَارَهُمْ وَأَمْوَالَهُمْ وَأَرْضًا لَّمْ تَطَئُوهَا ۚ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ قَدِيرًا
33|27|And He made you inherit their land, and their homes, and their possessions, and a region you have never stepped on. God has power over all things.
28. يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ إِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ الْحَيَاةَ الدُّنْيَا وَزِينَتَهَا فَتَعَالَيْنَ أُمَتِّعْكُنَّ وَأُسَرِّحْكُنَّ سَرَاحًا جَمِيلًا
33|28|O Prophet! Say to your wives, “If you desire the life of this world and its finery, then let me compensate you, and release you kindly.
H 10810, Ch. 60, h 3
Humayd has narrated from ibn Sama‘ah from ibn Ribat from ‘Es ibn al-Qasim who has said the following:
“I once asked abu ‘Abd Allah, ‘Alayhi al-Salam, about the case of a man who gives his wife the
choice; if she becomes stranger for him. He (the Imam) said, ‘No, this was something especially for
the Messenger of Allah, O Allah, grant compensation to Muhammad and his family worthy of their
services to Your cause. He (the Messenger of Allah) was commanded to do so and if they were to
choose themselves he would divorce them. This is in the words of Allah, most Majestic, most
Glorious, ‘Say to your wives, “If you want the worldly life and its beauty, then be prepared, so he (the
Messenger of Allah) benefits you and allows you to be free with fairness.” (33:28)’”
29. وَإِن كُنتُنَّ تُرِدْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ وَالدَّارَ الْآخِرَةَ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ أَعَدَّ لِلْمُحْسِنَاتِ مِنكُنَّ أَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
33|29|But if you desire God, His Messenger, and the Home of the Hereafter, then God has prepared for the righteous among you a magnificent compensation.”
30. يَا نِسَاءَ النَّبِيِّ مَن يَأْتِ مِنكُنَّ بِفَاحِشَةٍ مُّبَيِّنَةٍ يُضَاعَفْ لَهَا الْعَذَابُ ضِعْفَيْنِ ۚ وَكَانَ ذَٰلِكَ عَلَى اللَّهِ يَسِيرًا
33|30|O wives of the Prophet! Whoever of you commits a proven indecency, the punishment for her will be doubled. And that would be easy for God.
31. ۞ وَمَن يَقْنُتْ مِنكُنَّ لِلَّهِ وَرَسُولِهِ وَتَعْمَلْ صَالِحًا نُّؤْتِهَا أَجْرَهَا مَرَّتَيْنِ وَأَعْتَدْنَا لَهَا رِزْقًا كَرِيمًا
33|31|But whoever of you remains obedient to God and His Messenger, and acts righteously, We will give her a double reward; and We have prepared for her a generous provision.
32. يَا نِسَاءَ النَّبِيِّ لَسْتُنَّ كَأَحَدٍ مِّنَ النِّسَاءِ ۚ إِنِ اتَّقَيْتُنَّ فَلَا تَخْضَعْنَ بِالْقَوْلِ فَيَطْمَعَ الَّذِي فِي قَلْبِهِ مَرَضٌ وَقُلْنَ قَوْلًا مَّعْرُوفًا
33|32|O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women, if you observe piety. So do not speak too softly, lest the sick at heart lusts after you, but speak in an appropriate manner.
33. وَقَرْنَ فِي بُيُوتِكُنَّ وَلَا تَبَرَّجْنَ تَبَرُّجَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ الْأُولَىٰ ۖ وَأَقِمْنَ الصَّلَاةَ وَآتِينَ الزَّكَاةَ وَأَطِعْنَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ ۚ إِنَّمَا يُرِيدُ اللَّهُ لِيُذْهِبَ عَنكُمُ الرِّجْسَ أَهْلَ الْبَيْتِ وَيُطَهِّرَكُمْ تَطْهِيرًا
33|33|And settle in your homes; and do not display yourselves, as in the former days of ignorance. And perform the prayer, and give regular charity, and obey God and His Messenger. God desires to remove all impurity from you, O People of the Household, and to purify you thoroughly.
H 750, Ch. 64, h 1Ali ibn Ibrahim has narrated from Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from Yunus and Ali ibnMuhammad from Sahl ibn Ziyad, abu Sa‘id from Muhammad ibn ‘Isa fromYunus from ibn Muskan from abu Basir who has said the following:“I asked abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of divine supremecovenant, about the words of Allah, the Most Holy, the MostHigh: ‘Believers, obey Allah, His Messenger, and your leaders(who possess Divine Authority). . . .’ (4:59)“The Imam said, ‘This was sent from the heavens about Aliibn abu Talib, al-Hassan and al-Husayn, recipients of divinesupreme covenant.’ I then said, ‘People say, “Why did He notspecify Ali and his family by their names in the Book of Allah,the Most Holy, the Most High?’“The Imam said, ‘Say to them, “The command for prayer cameto the Messenger of Allah but He has not specified (the numberof the Rak‘ats) for them as being three or four. It, in fact, wasthe Messenger of Allah who explained to them this matter. Thecommand for Zakat (a form of income tax) came to theMessenger of Allah and there was no specific taxable numbersuch as one Dirham on every forty Dirham. It was theMessenger of Allah who explained it for them. The commandfor Hajj came to the Messenger of Allah. It did not say walkseven times around the Ka‘ba. It was the Messenger of Allahwho explained it for them. The verse about obedience came,‘Believers, obey Allah, His Messenger and your leaders (whopossess Divine Authority). . . .’ (4:59) It came to declare thatAli, al-Hassan and al-Husayn, recipients of divine supremecovenant, were the Leaders who possessed Divine Authority.The Messenger of Allah then said about Ali, recipient of divinesupreme covenant, ‘Over whomever I have Divine Authority,Ali, recipient of divine supreme covenant, also has DivineAuthority over him.’ He also has said, ‘I enjoin you to follow theBook of Allah and my family. It is because I have prayed toAllah, the Most Holy, the Most High, not to separate these twofrom each other until He will make them arrive at al-Kawthar(the pond of paradise) to join me. He has granted my prayer assuch.’
“The Holy Prophet, recipient of divine supreme covenant, has
said, ‘Do not try to teach them (‘A’immah); they are far more
knowledgeable than you.’ The Holy Prophet has said,
‘‘A’immah, recipients of divine supreme covenant, will never
take you out of the gate of guidance and they will never make
you enter the gate of error.’ Had the Messenger of Allah
remained silent and had not explained anything about his Ahl al-
Bayt (the family) the family of so and so would have advanced
their claim for Imamat (Leadership with Divine Authority).
However, Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, has revealed it
in His book to confirm the explanations of His Prophet about
Ahl al-Bayt (in the following verse): ‘People of the house, Allah
wants to remove all kinds of uncleanness from you and to purify
you thoroughly.’ (33:33) Ali, Fatimah, al-Hassan and al-Husayn,
recipients of divine supreme covenant, were there and the Holy
Prophet made them to enter under al-Kisa’ (the Cloak) in the
house of ’Umm Salama and then said, ‘O Lord, every prophet
had a family and a heaviness and credence, and these are my
family, my heaviness and credence.’ ’Umm Salama at this point
said, ‘Am I not of your family?’ The Holy Prophet said, ‘You
are in goodness but these are my family, my heaviness and
“When the Messenger of Allah passed away Ali, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, had the utmost priority and
guardianship of the people because of what the Messenger of
Allah had preached about him. It was because of raising him up
for the people and holding his hand in his hand. When Ali,
recipient of divine supreme covenant, (was about to) pass away
he could not (and would not) enter Muhammad ibn Ali or al-
‘Abbass ibn Ali or any one of his other sons in the position of
Imamat (Leadership with Divine Authority). Otherwise, al-
Hassan and al-Husayn, recipients of divine supreme covenant,
would have said, ‘Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, has
revealed about us just as He has done so about you, and He has
commanded people to obey us just as He has commanded people
to obey you. The Messenger of Allah has preached to people
about us just as he has done so about you. Allah has removed al-
Rijs (uncleanness) from us just as He has done so to you.’
“When Ali, recipient of divine supreme covenant, left this
world, al-Hassan had the utmost priority for Imamat (Leadership
with Divine Authority); he was the eldest. When he was about to
die he could not, and would not, enter his sons in the position of
Imamat. It is because Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, says,
‘. . . The relatives are closer to each other, according to the Book
of Allah, than the believers and the emigrants. . . .’ (33:6) Had
he then placed Imamat in his sons, al-Husayn, recipient of divine
supreme covenant, would have said, ‘Allah has commanded
people to obey me just as He has commanded people to obey
you and to obey your father. The Messenger of Allah has
preached to people about me just as he has preached to people
about you and your father. Allah has removed al-Rijs
(unleanliness) from me just as He has removed it from you and
“When Imamat was in full force with al-Husayn, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, there was no one in his family who
could claim against him as he could claim against his brother
and father. He could do so in case they had (his father and
brother) wanted to divert it from him but they did not and would
not do so. After them it found its place with al-Husayn, recipient
of divine supreme covenant, and the interpretation of this verse
continued to remain valid, ‘. . . The relatives are closer to each
other, according to the Book of Allah, than the believers and the
emigrants. . . .’ (33:6)
“After al-Husayn, recipient of divine supreme covenant,
Imamat found its place with Ali ibn al-Husayn, recipient of
divine supreme covenant. After Ali ibn al-Husayn, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, it (Leadership with Divine Authority)
found its place with Muhammad ibn Ali, recipient of divine
supreme covenant. The Imam said, ‘Al-Rijs means doubts. I
swear by Allah that we never doubt in our Lord.’”
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Isa
from Muhammad ibn Khalid and al-Husayn ibn Sa‘id from al-Nadr ibn Suwayd
from Yahya ibn ‘Imran al-Halabi from Ayyub ibn al-Hurr and ‘Imran ibn Ali
al-Halabi from abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of divine supreme covenant, a
34. وَاذْكُرْنَ مَا يُتْلَىٰ فِي بُيُوتِكُنَّ مِنْ آيَاتِ اللَّهِ وَالْحِكْمَةِ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ لَطِيفًا خَبِيرًا
33|34|And remember what is recited in your homes of God’s revelations and wisdom. God is Kind and Informed.
35. إِنَّ الْمُسْلِمِينَ وَالْمُسْلِمَاتِ وَالْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ وَالْقَانِتِينَ وَالْقَانِتَاتِ وَالصَّادِقِينَ وَالصَّادِقَاتِ وَالصَّابِرِينَ وَالصَّابِرَاتِ وَالْخَاشِعِينَ وَالْخَاشِعَاتِ وَالْمُتَصَدِّقِينَ وَالْمُتَصَدِّقَاتِ وَالصَّائِمِينَ وَالصَّائِمَاتِ وَالْحَافِظِينَ فُرُوجَهُمْ وَالْحَافِظَاتِ وَالذَّاكِرِينَ اللَّهَ كَثِيرًا وَالذَّاكِرَاتِ أَعَدَّ اللَّهُ لَهُم مَّغْفِرَةً وَأَجْرًا عَظِيمًا
33|35|Muslim men and Muslim women, believing men and believing women, obedient men and obedient women, truthful men and truthful women, patient men and patient women, humble men and humble women, charitable men and charitable women, fasting men and fasting women, men who guard their chastity and women who guard, men who remember God frequently and women who remember—God has prepared for them a pardon, and an immense reward.
36. وَمَا كَانَ لِمُؤْمِنٍ وَلَا مُؤْمِنَةٍ إِذَا قَضَى اللَّهُ وَرَسُولُهُ أَمْرًا أَن يَكُونَ لَهُمُ الْخِيَرَةُ مِنْ أَمْرِهِمْ ۗ وَمَن يَعْصِ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ ضَلَّ ضَلَالًا مُّبِينًا
33|36|It is not for any believer, man or woman, when God and His Messenger have decided a matter, to have liberty of choice in their decision. Whoever disobeys God and His Messenger has gone far astray.
We have an extensive history of the Prophet’s SAW decisions and principles in the form of hadith, those that reject the authentic and widely reported, and adopt a contrary view have gone astray.
37. وَإِذْ تَقُولُ لِلَّذِي أَنْعَمَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَأَنْعَمْتَ عَلَيْهِ أَمْسِكْ عَلَيْكَ زَوْجَكَ وَاتَّقِ اللَّهَ وَتُخْفِي فِي نَفْسِكَ مَا اللَّهُ مُبْدِيهِ وَتَخْشَى النَّاسَ وَاللَّهُ أَحَقُّ أَن تَخْشَاهُ ۖ فَلَمَّا قَضَىٰ زَيْدٌ مِّنْهَا وَطَرًا زَوَّجْنَاكَهَا لِكَيْ لَا يَكُونَ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ حَرَجٌ فِي أَزْوَاجِ أَدْعِيَائِهِمْ إِذَا قَضَوْا مِنْهُنَّ وَطَرًا ۚ وَكَانَ أَمْرُ اللَّهِ مَفْعُولًا
33|37|When you said to him whom God had blessed, and you had favored, “Keep your wife to yourself, and fear God.” But you hid within yourself what God was to reveal. And you feared the people, but it was God you were supposed to fear. Then, when Zaid ended his relationship with her, We gave her to you in marriage, that there may be no restriction for believers regarding the wives of their adopted sons, when their relationship has ended. The command of God was fulfilled.
38. مَّا كَانَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ مِنْ حَرَجٍ فِيمَا فَرَضَ اللَّهُ لَهُ ۖ سُنَّةَ اللَّهِ فِي الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلُ ۚ وَكَانَ أَمْرُ اللَّهِ قَدَرًا مَّقْدُورًا
33|38|There is no blame on the Prophet regarding what God has ordained for him. Such is the pattern of God among those who passed before. The command of God is an absolute decree.
39. الَّذِينَ يُبَلِّغُونَ رِسَالَاتِ اللَّهِ وَيَخْشَوْنَهُ وَلَا يَخْشَوْنَ أَحَدًا إِلَّا اللَّهَ ۗ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ حَسِيبًا
33|39|Those who deliver the messages of God, and fear Him, and never fear anyone except God. God is sufficient as a reckoner.
40. مَّا كَانَ مُحَمَّدٌ أَبَا أَحَدٍ مِّن رِّجَالِكُمْ وَلَٰكِن رَّسُولَ اللَّهِ وَخَاتَمَ النَّبِيِّينَ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمًا
33|40|Muhammad is not the father of any of your men; but he is the Messenger of God, and the seal of the prophets. God is Cognizant of everything.
41. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اذْكُرُوا اللَّهَ ذِكْرًا كَثِيرًا
33|41|O you who believe, remember God with frequent remembrance.
H 3184, CH 22, h 4
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from
Ali ibn al-Hakam from Sayf ibn ‘Amirah from Bakr ibn Bukayr from Zurara ibn
‘A’Yun from abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of divine supreme covenant, who has
said the following:
“Tasbih of Fatimah al-Zahra, recipient of divine supreme
covenant, is a form of ‘Often speaking and remembering Allah’
about which Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most Holy, has said,
‘Believers, remember Allah very often (33:41) and glorify Him
both in the mornings and in the evenings.’” (33:42)
It is narrated from him (narrator of the Hadith above) from Ali ibn al-Hakam
from Sayf ibn ‘Amirah from abu ‘Usamah Zayd al-Shahham and Mansur ibn
Hazim and Sa’id al-‘A’raj from abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of divine supreme
covenant, a similar Hadith.
42. وَسَبِّحُوهُ بُكْرَةً وَأَصِيلًا
33|42|And glorify Him morning and evening.
43. هُوَ الَّذِي يُصَلِّي عَلَيْكُمْ وَمَلَائِكَتُهُ لِيُخْرِجَكُم مِّنَ الظُّلُمَاتِ إِلَى النُّورِ ۚ وَكَانَ بِالْمُؤْمِنِينَ رَحِيمًا
33|43|It is He who forgives you, and His angels pray to bring you out of darkness into the light. And He is Ever-Merciful towards the believers.
H 3160, CH 20, h 14
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn ‘Isa from
Ya’qub ibn ‘Abd Allah from Ishaq ibn Farrukh Mawla Ale Talhah who has said
“Abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of divine supreme covenant, once
said, ‘O Ishaq ibn Farrukh, whoever asks from Allah al-Salat
(favors) for the Holy Prophet and his family ten times, Allah and
His angels will do the same for him one hundred times. Whoever
asks from Allah al-Salat for the Holy Prophet and his family one
hundred times, Allah and His angels will do the same for him
one thousand times. Do you not hear the words of Allah, the
Most Majestic, the Most Holy, “It is He who forgives you and
His angels pray for you so that He will take you out of darkness
into light. Allah is All-Merciful to believers.’” (33:43)
44. تَحِيَّتُهُمْ يَوْمَ يَلْقَوْنَهُ سَلَامٌ ۚ وَأَعَدَّ لَهُمْ أَجْرًا كَرِيمًا
33|44|Their greeting on the Day they meet Him is, “Peace,” and He has prepared for them a generous reward.
45. يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ إِنَّا أَرْسَلْنَاكَ شَاهِدًا وَمُبَشِّرًا وَنَذِيرًا
33|45|O prophet! We have sent you as a witness, and a bearer of good news, and a warner.
46. وَدَاعِيًا إِلَى اللَّهِ بِإِذْنِهِ وَسِرَاجًا مُّنِيرًا
33|46|And a caller towards God by His leave, and an illuminating beacon.
47. وَبَشِّرِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ بِأَنَّ لَهُم مِّنَ اللَّهِ فَضْلًا كَبِيرًا
33|47|And give the believers the good news that for them is a great reward.
48. وَلَا تُطِعِ الْكَافِرِينَ وَالْمُنَافِقِينَ وَدَعْ أَذَاهُمْ وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى اللَّهِ ۚ وَكَفَىٰ بِاللَّهِ وَكِيلًا
33|48|And do not obey the blasphemers and the hypocrites, and ignore their insults, and rely on God. God is a sufficient protector.
49. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا إِذَا نَكَحْتُمُ الْمُؤْمِنَاتِ ثُمَّ طَلَّقْتُمُوهُنَّ مِن قَبْلِ أَن تَمَسُّوهُنَّ فَمَا لَكُمْ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِنْ عِدَّةٍ تَعْتَدُّونَهَا ۖ فَمَتِّعُوهُنَّ وَسَرِّحُوهُنَّ سَرَاحًا جَمِيلًا
33|49|O you who believe! When you marry believing women, but then divorce them before you have touched them, there is no waiting period for you to observe in respect to them; but compensate them, and release them in a graceful manner.
50. يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ إِنَّا أَحْلَلْنَا لَكَ أَزْوَاجَكَ اللَّاتِي آتَيْتَ أُجُورَهُنَّ وَمَا مَلَكَتْ يَمِينُكَ مِمَّا أَفَاءَ اللَّهُ عَلَيْكَ وَبَنَاتِ عَمِّكَ وَبَنَاتِ عَمَّاتِكَ وَبَنَاتِ خَالِكَ وَبَنَاتِ خَالَاتِكَ اللَّاتِي هَاجَرْنَ مَعَكَ وَامْرَأَةً مُّؤْمِنَةً إِن وَهَبَتْ نَفْسَهَا لِلنَّبِيِّ إِنْ أَرَادَ النَّبِيُّ أَن يَسْتَنكِحَهَا خَالِصَةً لَّكَ مِن دُونِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ۗ قَدْ عَلِمْنَا مَا فَرَضْنَا عَلَيْهِمْ فِي أَزْوَاجِهِمْ وَمَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُمْ لِكَيْلَا يَكُونَ عَلَيْكَ حَرَجٌ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
33|50|O Prophet! We have permitted to you your wives to whom you have given their dowries, and those you already have, as granted to you by God, and the daughters of your paternal uncle, and the daughters of your paternal aunts, and the daughters of your maternal uncle, and the daughters of your maternal aunts who emigrated with you, and a believing woman who has offered herself to the Prophet, if the Prophet desires to marry her, exclusively for you, and not for the believers. We know what We have ordained for them regarding their wives and those their right-hands possess. This is to spare you any difficulty. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
51. ۞ تُرْجِي مَن تَشَاءُ مِنْهُنَّ وَتُؤْوِي إِلَيْكَ مَن تَشَاءُ ۖ وَمَنِ ابْتَغَيْتَ مِمَّنْ عَزَلْتَ فَلَا جُنَاحَ عَلَيْكَ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ أَدْنَىٰ أَن تَقَرَّ أَعْيُنُهُنَّ وَلَا يَحْزَنَّ وَيَرْضَيْنَ بِمَا آتَيْتَهُنَّ كُلُّهُنَّ ۚ وَاللَّهُ يَعْلَمُ مَا فِي قُلُوبِكُمْ ۚوَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَلِيمًا حَلِيمًا
33|51|You may defer any of them you wish, and receive any of them you wish. Should you desire any of those you had deferred, there is no blame on you. This is more proper, so that they will be comforted, and not be grieved, and be content with what you have given each one of them. God knows what is within your hearts. God is Omniscient and Clement.
52. لَّا يَحِلُّ لَكَ النِّسَاءُ مِن بَعْدُ وَلَا أَن تَبَدَّلَ بِهِنَّ مِنْ أَزْوَاجٍ وَلَوْ أَعْجَبَكَ حُسْنُهُنَّ إِلَّا مَا مَلَكَتْ يَمِينُكَ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ رَّقِيبًا
33|52|Beyond that, no other women are permissible for you, nor can you exchange them for other wives, even if you admire their beauty, except those you already have. God is Watchful over all things.
53. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَدْخُلُوا بُيُوتَ النَّبِيِّ إِلَّا أَن يُؤْذَنَ لَكُمْ إِلَىٰ طَعَامٍ غَيْرَ نَاظِرِينَ إِنَاهُ وَلَٰكِنْ إِذَا دُعِيتُمْ فَادْخُلُوا فَإِذَا طَعِمْتُمْ فَانتَشِرُوا وَلَا مُسْتَأْنِسِينَ لِحَدِيثٍ ۚ إِنَّ ذَٰلِكُمْ كَانَ يُؤْذِي النَّبِيَّ فَيَسْتَحْيِي مِنكُمْ ۖ وَاللَّهُ لَا يَسْتَحْيِي مِنَ الْحَقِّ ۚ وَإِذَا سَأَلْتُمُوهُنَّ مَتَاعًا فَاسْأَلُوهُنَّ مِن وَرَاءِ حِجَابٍ ۚذَٰلِكُمْ أَطْهَرُ لِقُلُوبِكُمْ وَقُلُوبِهِنَّ ۚ وَمَا كَانَ لَكُمْ أَن تُؤْذُوا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ وَلَا أَن تَنكِحُوا أَزْوَاجَهُ مِن بَعْدِهِ أَبَدًا ۚ إِنَّ ذَٰلِكُمْ كَانَ عِندَ اللَّهِ عَظِيمًا
33|53|O you who believe! Do not enter the homes of the Prophet, unless you are given permission to come for a meal; and do not wait for its preparation. And when you are invited, go in. And when you have eaten, disperse, without lingering for conversation. This irritates the Prophet, and he shies away from you, but God does not shy away from the truth. And when you ask his wives for something, ask them from behind a screen; that is purer for your hearts and their hearts. You must never offend the Messenger of God, nor must you ever marry his wives after him, for that would be an enormity with God.
54. إِن تُبْدُوا شَيْئًا أَوْ تُخْفُوهُ فَإِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمًا
33|54|Whether you declare a thing, or hide it, God is Aware of all things.
55. لَّا جُنَاحَ عَلَيْهِنَّ فِي آبَائِهِنَّ وَلَا أَبْنَائِهِنَّ وَلَا إِخْوَانِهِنَّ وَلَا أَبْنَاءِ إِخْوَانِهِنَّ وَلَا أَبْنَاءِ أَخَوَاتِهِنَّ وَلَا نِسَائِهِنَّ وَلَا مَا مَلَكَتْ أَيْمَانُهُنَّ ۗ وَاتَّقِينَ اللَّهَ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدًا
33|55|There is no blame on them concerning their fathers, or their sons, or their brothers, or their brothers’ sons, or their sisters’ sons, or their women, or their female servants. But they should remain conscious of God. God is Witness over all things.
56. إِنَّ اللَّهَ وَمَلَائِكَتَهُ يُصَلُّونَ عَلَى النَّبِيِّ ۚ يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا صَلُّوا عَلَيْهِ وَسَلِّمُوا تَسْلِيمًا
33|56|God and His angels give blessings to the Prophet. O you who believe, call for blessings on him, and greet him with a prayer of peace.
H 1216, Ch. 111, h 35
Muhammad ibn al-Husayn has narrated from Sahl ibn Ziyad from ibn al-Faddal
from Ali ibn al-Nu‘man from abu Maryam al-Ansari who has said the following:
“Once I asked abu Ja‘far, recipient of divine supreme
covenant, ‘How was the prayer for the dead body of the Holy
Prophet, recipient of divine supreme covenant?’
“The Imam said, ‘When Amir al-Mu’minin Ali, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, washed his body and placed him in the
shroud and covered his body, ten persons came in and walked
around him. Amir al-Mu’minin Ali, recipient of divine supreme
covenant, then stood in the middle of them and said, “Allah
showers His blessings upon the Prophet and the angels seek forgiveness
for him. Believers, pray for the Prophet and greet him
with the greeting of peace.” (33:56) The group also continued
reciting what the Imam said until the people of Madina and
people of ‘Awali also said the prayer (for burial) in the same
H 1219, Ch. 111, h 38
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Salama ibn al-Khattab from Ali ibn
Sayf from ‘Amr ibn Shimr from Jabir from abu Ja‘far, recipient of divine
supreme covenant, who has said the following:
“Abu Ja‘far, recipient of divine supreme covenant, has said,
‘When the Holy Prophet, recipient of divine supreme covenant,
passed away, the angels, al-Muhajirun (the immigrant Muslims)
and al-Ansar (the helping Muslims, people of Madina) prayed
over his body group after group.’
“The narrator has said that Amir al-Mu’minin Ali, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, has said, ‘I heard the Messenger of
Allah saying while in good health, “This verse is revealed to me
about praying for me after Allah will take me away from this
world. ‘Allah showers His blessings upon the Prophet and the
angels seek forgiveness for him. Believers, pray for the Prophet
and greet him with the greeting of peace.’ ” ’ ” (33:56)
57. إِنَّ الَّذِينَ يُؤْذُونَ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ لَعَنَهُمُ اللَّهُ فِي الدُّنْيَا وَالْآخِرَةِ وَأَعَدَّ لَهُمْ عَذَابًا مُّهِينًا
33|57|Those who insult God and His Messenger, God has cursed them in this life and in the Hereafter, and has prepared for them a demeaning punishment.
58. وَالَّذِينَ يُؤْذُونَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ بِغَيْرِ مَا اكْتَسَبُوا فَقَدِ احْتَمَلُوا بُهْتَانًا وَإِثْمًا مُّبِينًا
33|58|Those who harm believing men and believing women, for acts they did not commit, bear the burden of perjury and a flagrant sin.
H 2128, CH 78, h 13
Al-Husayn ibn Muhammad has narrated from Ahmad ibn Ishaq from Sa’dan ibn
Muslim from ‘Abd Allah ibn Sinan who has said the following:
“Once a man, in the presence of abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, recited this verse of the Holy Quran:
‘Those who annoy the believing men and women without reason
will bear the sin for a false accusation, a manifest offense.’
(33:58) The narrator has said that abu ‘Abd Allah, recipient of
divine supreme covenant, then asked, ‘What then is the reward
for sending joy to his heart?’ I said, ‘May Allah keep my soul in
service for your cause, ten good deeds.’ The Imam said, ‘Yes, by
Allah, it is one million good deeds.’”
59. يَا أَيُّهَا النَّبِيُّ قُل لِّأَزْوَاجِكَ وَبَنَاتِكَ وَنِسَاءِ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ يُدْنِينَ عَلَيْهِنَّ مِن جَلَابِيبِهِنَّ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ أَدْنَىٰ أَن يُعْرَفْنَ فَلَا يُؤْذَيْنَ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
33|59|O Prophet! Tell your wives, and your daughters, and the women of the believers, to lengthen their garments. That is more proper, so they will be recognized and not harassed. God is Forgiving and Merciful.
60. ۞ لَّئِن لَّمْ يَنتَهِ الْمُنَافِقُونَ وَالَّذِينَ فِي قُلُوبِهِم مَّرَضٌ وَالْمُرْجِفُونَ فِي الْمَدِينَةِ لَنُغْرِيَنَّكَ بِهِمْ ثُمَّ لَا يُجَاوِرُونَكَ فِيهَا إِلَّا قَلِيلًا
33|60|If the hypocrites, and those with sickness in their hearts, and the rumormongers in the City, do not desist, We will incite you against them; then they will not be your neighbors there except for a short while.
61. مَّلْعُونِينَ ۖ أَيْنَمَا ثُقِفُوا أُخِذُوا وَقُتِّلُوا تَقْتِيلًا
33|61|They are cursed; wherever they are found, they should be captured and killed outright.
62. سُنَّةَ اللَّهِ فِي الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِن قَبْلُ ۖ وَلَن تَجِدَ لِسُنَّةِ اللَّهِ تَبْدِيلًا
33|62|Such has been God’s precedent with those who passed away before. You will find no change in God’s system.
63. يَسْأَلُكَ النَّاسُ عَنِ السَّاعَةِ ۖ قُلْ إِنَّمَا عِلْمُهَا عِندَ اللَّهِ ۚ وَمَا يُدْرِيكَ لَعَلَّ السَّاعَةَ تَكُونُ قَرِيبًا
33|63|The people ask you about the Hour. Say, “The knowledge thereof rests with God. But what do you know? Perhaps the hour is near.”
64. إِنَّ اللَّهَ لَعَنَ الْكَافِرِينَ وَأَعَدَّ لَهُمْ سَعِيرًا
33|64|God has cursed the disbelievers, and has prepared for them a Blaze.
65. خَالِدِينَ فِيهَا أَبَدًا ۖ لَّا يَجِدُونَ وَلِيًّا وَلَا نَصِيرًا
33|65|Dwelling therein forever, not finding a protector or a savior.
66. يَوْمَ تُقَلَّبُ وُجُوهُهُمْ فِي النَّارِ يَقُولُونَ يَا لَيْتَنَا أَطَعْنَا اللَّهَ وَأَطَعْنَا الرَّسُولَا
33|66|The Day when their faces are flipped into the Fire, they will say, “If only we had obeyed God and obeyed the Messenger.”
67. وَقَالُوا رَبَّنَا إِنَّا أَطَعْنَا سَادَتَنَا وَكُبَرَاءَنَا فَأَضَلُّونَا السَّبِيلَا
33|67|And they will say, “Lord, we have obeyed our superiors and our dignitaries, but they led us away from the way.
68. رَبَّنَا آتِهِمْ ضِعْفَيْنِ مِنَ الْعَذَابِ وَالْعَنْهُمْ لَعْنًا كَبِيرًا
33|68|Lord, give them double the punishment, and curse them with a great curse.”
69. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا لَا تَكُونُوا كَالَّذِينَ آذَوْا مُوسَىٰ فَبَرَّأَهُ اللَّهُ مِمَّا قَالُوا ۚ وَكَانَ عِندَ اللَّهِ وَجِيهًا
33|69|O you who believe! Do not be like those who abused Moses; but God cleared him of what they said. He was distinguished with God.
70. يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللَّهَ وَقُولُوا قَوْلًا سَدِيدًا
33|70|O you who believe! Be conscious of God, and speak in a straightforward manner.
71. يُصْلِحْ لَكُمْ أَعْمَالَكُمْ وَيَغْفِرْ لَكُمْ ذُنُوبَكُمْ ۗ وَمَن يُطِعِ اللَّهَ وَرَسُولَهُ فَقَدْ فَازَ فَوْزًا عَظِيمًا
33|71|He will rectify your conduct for you, and will forgive you your sins. Whoever obeys God and His Messenger has won a great victory.
72. إِنَّا عَرَضْنَا الْأَمَانَةَ عَلَى السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَالْجِبَالِ فَأَبَيْنَ أَن يَحْمِلْنَهَا وَأَشْفَقْنَ مِنْهَا وَحَمَلَهَا الْإِنسَانُ ۖ إِنَّهُ كَانَ ظَلُومًا جَهُولًا
33|72|We offered the Trust to the heavens, and the earth, and the mountains; but they refused to bear it, and were apprehensive of it; but the human being accepted it. He was unfair and ignorant.
H 1079, Ch. 108, h 2
Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Muhammad ibn al-Husayn from al-
Hakam ibn Miskin from Ishaq ibn ‘Ammara from a man who has said the
“About the words of Allah, the Most Majestic, the Most
Gracious, ‘We offered Our Trust (Our deputation) to the
heavens, to the earth, and to the mountains, but they could not
bear this burden and were afraid to accept it. Man (mankind)
was able to accept this offer but he was unjust to himself and
ignorant of the significance of this Trust.’ (33:72). The Imam
said, ‘It (trust) is a reference to Leadership with Divine
Authority of Amir al-Mu’minin Ali, recipient of divine supreme
73. لِّيُعَذِّبَ اللَّهُ الْمُنَافِقِينَ وَالْمُنَافِقَاتِ وَالْمُشْرِكِينَ وَالْمُشْرِكَاتِ وَيَتُوبَ اللَّهُ عَلَى الْمُؤْمِنِينَ وَالْمُؤْمِنَاتِ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
33|73|God will punish the hypocrites, men and women, and the idolaters, men and women. And God will redeem the believers, men and women. God is Ever-Forgiving, Most Merciful.